Nats Journal

Nationals to begin transitioning Abrams to second base

A two-time All-Star shortstop, CJ Abrams is going to swap positions with Nasim Nuñez in coming days in a significant organizational move

Mark Zuckerman's avatar
Mark Zuckerman
Aug 14, 2026
∙ Paid
Photo by Billy Sabatini / ALL-PRO REELS

NEW YORK – The Nationals have begun the process of transitioning CJ Abrams to second base, making a significant – but long-speculated – decision to move their two-time All-Star shortstop to the other side of the infield in-season.

It will likely be several days before Abrams appears at second base in a game, manager Blake Butera said, but the decision was made over the last week and the 25-year-old began taking grounders there this afternoon prior to the Nats’ series opener against the Mets.

“Obviously, CJ has spent the majority of his career at shortstop, and all of his time with the Nationals,” Butera said. “So I understand this is not an easy decision, not an easy conversation, of course. But ultimately, we felt this was the best thing for the team going forward.”

Abrams has played 585 games in the field for the Nationals since his acquisition from the Padres as part of the August 2022 blockbuster deal for Juan Soto, and all of them have come at shortstop. He did play 13 big-league games at second base as a rookie in San Diego, but his entire experience since coming to D.C. has been at the premium position in the infield.

User's avatar

Continue reading this post for free, courtesy of Mark Zuckerman.

Or purchase a paid subscription.
© 2026 Mark Zuckerman · Privacy ∙ Terms ∙ Collection notice
Start your SubstackGet the app
Substack is the home for great culture