Source: Nats expected to recall Crews from Triple-A on Tuesday
The Nationals are planning to promote outfielder Dylan Crews after seeing improvement from the 24-year-old in Rochester
The Nationals are expected to recall Dylan Crews from Triple-A Rochester as soon as Tuesday, according to a source familiar with the decision, bringing the outfielder back to the big leagues about two months after demoting him to the minors at the end of spring training.
The club has not confirmed the move, and another player will need to be removed from the active roster before Crews can officially be called up. But the source said Crews will be flying to Washington on Tuesday, with the expectation he’ll be playing against the Mets.
That plan was already in place prior to the start of tonight’s game, before Nationals outfielder Jacob Young was hit by a pitch in the left ribcage and had to depart in the bottom of the second inning. Depending on the severity of the injury, Young could be placed on the IL to account for the corresponding move for Crews’ promotion.
The No. 2 overall pick in the 2023 draft, Crews was called up to the big leagues in August 2024 and remained there through the end of the 2025 season. But after a dismal spring at the plate, the organization (now run by president of baseball operations Paul Toboni) decided to option him to Triple-A, a decision that surprised many but underscored just how much the 24-year-old still needed to prove.
Toboni said at the time there was no set plan for Crews to be called up, and that the decision wouldn’t be based strictly on his numbers in Rochester, but rather his overall readiness and progress. Team officials said they were pleased with his attitude throughout the process, and in recent weeks they saw his number improve.
In 41 total games to begin the season, Crews hit .258/.345/.432 with 10 doubles, one triple, five homers and 20 RBI. In 14 games so far this month, he’s batting .291/.339/.527 with seven of the doubles and two of the homers.


